Have you read this yet, about KDP Select driving down book prices on Amazon? It's pretty startling and eye-opening stuff about KDP Select and price points - backing up, in many ways, the advice Ruth Ann Nordin and others espouse. BTW - in my small way, I'm kicking Amazon in the shins by not participating in KDP Select.
This link takes you to the article "KDP Select’s Impact on Amazon.com’s Book Sales Price Point"
Very timely, as I was struggling with the rationalization of bailing on the $2.99 pricing that I've maintained for 2 years. This article provided support for my decision to lower my prices to US$.99 and "free," as consumer demand for lower prices amid a glut of product are the natural economic forces driving prices toward "free."
Although fine in the short run, I can't make a living giving away my books. I see two outcomes from this: Just as the lousy economy drove housing prices downward amid a glut of available homes, discouraged career and part-time authors will leave the writing profession because they can't make a living by publishing free books, so demand for quality books from a shrinking available pool will eventually drive prices back up. This is a simple cyclical principle of economics.
If this isn't the long-term result, however, then another publishing model must rise from the ashes of indie and legacy publishing (not likely Bilbary). What an exciting time it is to be an author, don't you think?
Good night from Australia.
Links to My Titles
- About Me and Contact Info
- Free Personalized Message with Each of My Novels You Purchase
- My Slice of Heaven - NEW novel - 2013
- Christmess (novel)
- Diary of a Reluctant Vampire (novel) - coming 2013
- Legacy (novel)
- Legacy (novel) ebook & paperback at Amazon
- Man Cave (novel) NEW!! Pub'd Aug 2012
- Simmering Consequences (novel)
- The Voices of Cellar's Bridge (novel)
- "Barefoot Homecoming" - a FREE short story
- "Dan's Accidental Convertible" - a FREE short story
- "Halloween's Perfect Storm" - a FREE short story
- "Heart's Lust" - a free short story
- "Of Yellow Snow and Christmas Balls" - a FREE short story
- "One Lousy Wish" - a FREE short story
- "There Was a Knock at the Door" - a FREE short story